Saturday, March 7, 2020

Composing the Music - Part One

Hello everyone!

Today I spent 6 hours in my room composing the music... and have only gotten the piano and vocals recorded... so that's that.

I am in charge of composing the music for our film opening, as I sing, song write, and am starting to learn how to produce my music. However, I am fairly new at the recording (especially mixing and mastering) portion of it. A struggle I faced is that I don't really have a "musical theatre" voice - rather I have more of an acoustic songwriter voice (which makes sense since it is what I primarily do). I may have someone else sing on the track if I am not convinced by the time the demo is finished. Also, I have never composed anything for musicals nor participated in any musicals... so that explains why it was difficult for me to get started.

To get inspiration I listened to a lot of music from musicals and Broadway shows. I wanted to create an original song but had to somehow use similarities from what I found in these songs. I noticed that a lot of them use major chords and change keys somewhere in the song. In the demo I have made, it starts out in the key of D major, but when it gets to the chorus it switches to A major. The chords in the chorus are all major - a I IV V progression that I noticed was common among the songs I listened to. There is also a tempo change that really makes the chorus (where the flashmob will happen) stand out from the verse - it goes from 4/4 time to 6/8.

The lyrics came pretty easy, and I took inspiration from songs from musicals that are centered around the individual and personal struggles/aspirations, like "A Million Dreams" from The Greatest Showman (2017),  and "Waving Through a Window" from Dear Evan Hansen (2015). I began the song with an instrumental focused on the piano like these two songs. I also centered the lyrics around Mia and her desire to get out of her suburban town and be something more. I decided to title the piece "Little Town".

I am not ready to show you guys the demo yet, but I can give you a sneak peek with the lyrics! Here are they are - straight from my notes which is where I wrote them this morning. Tomorrow, I will try to finish the demo and hopefully upload it on here for you guys to hear!


No comments:

Post a Comment

My CCR

Finally... the CCR for my final project is finished! I will have it linked below, thank you so much for coming along with me on my film jour...